The Richmond SPCA is helping to Clear the Shelters this year on August 19!
For the third year, the Richmond SPCA is participating in this nationwide event, during which adoption fees are completely waived at their humane center. The Richmond SPCA staff will come together to find lasting, loving homes for as many pets as possible! Last year, 64 animals were adopted from the Richmond SPCA by loving families.
To beat the heat, Tropical Smoothie Café will be there to hand out smoothie samples, and the Lora Robins gift shop will be open to help outfit the new family pet! Meet Richmond author Bob Layton in our Lora Robins Gift Shop, who will have his two most recent books available for purchase with a portion of proceeds benefiting the Richmond SPCA.
Clear the Shelters 2016 was such a success that the Richmond SPCA offers the following tips for this year’s interested adopters:
• Adoption hours on August 19 are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Arrive early and come prepared with a photo ID.
If your current address is not listed on your identification, please bring a piece of mail such as a utility bill to confirm your residence.
• Due to high traffic on this busy day, it will also benefit potential adopters to determine in advance whether they are interested in visiting with a cat or a dog. When you arrive, you’ll be asked to add your name to the waiting list (if there is one at the time of your arrival). Please sign up on the list before browsing the adoption center.
• Each cat or kitten must go home with an appropriate carrier, and every dog or puppy must have suitable walking equipment (typically a collar and leash, though for some dogs a harness or Gentle Leader may be required). You may bring these items from home, or choose from the great selection in the Lora Robins Gift Shop.
• The Lora Robins Gift Shop has all the supplies you need for your new pet, and all proceeds benefit the lifesaving programs and services of the Richmond SPCA. With adoption fees waived during Clear the Shelters, it’s the perfect time to get in the habit of spoiling your new companion!
• As your new pet is getting settled in at home, the Richmond SPCA is available to help. Call or email their Behavior Helpline at 804-643-7722 or firstname.lastname@example.org for free behavior assistance with your cat or dog.
• Remember to share photos! Let #RVA know that you’ve adopted a new best friend during #CleartheShelters and be sure to tag both @RichmondSPCA and @NBC12.
Help the Richmond SPCA make this Clear the Shelters Day the most successful yet!