- 1/4 cup oil
- 8 oz. spicy sausage
- 2 pounds skinless chicken thigh
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 14 oz. can tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chicken paste
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveine d)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 cup okra
- 10 cups cooked rice
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium heat in a
Dutch Pot. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, and then remove. Set aside
- In a large Dutch Pot combine melted butter, oil and flour until smooth. Cook on
medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 20-30 minutes or until it turns a rich dark
- Remove from stove and let it cool.
- Return the Dutch oven back on the stove. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 8- 10 minutes – stirring frequently.
- Then add chicken, sausage, crab legs, creole seasoning, chicken paste, paprika, thyme, bay leaves and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add can tomatoes about 6 cups of chicken stock, bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, s immer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in okra, green onions, and chopped parsley.
- Adjust thickness soup and flavor with broth or water and salt.
Stay up to date on all things 12 About Town!